Morse, MA, Rizzieri, D, Stenzel, TT, Hobeika, AC, Vredenburgh, JJ, Chao, NJ, Clay, TM, Mosca, PJ, and Lyerly, HK. "Dendritic cell recovery following nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplants." J Hematother Stem Cell Res 11, no. 4 (August 2002): 659-668.
Nelson Jen An Chao, MD
My research interests are in two broad areas, clinical hematopoietic stem cell and cord blood transplantation and in the laboratory studies related to graft vs. host disease and immune reconstitution. On the clinical side we are currently conducting approximately 50 different clinical protocols ranging from preparatory regimens, supportive care studies and disease specific protocols. Most of these clinical studies are centered around studies of the sources of stem cells and the methods to improve the long term outcome. There are exploratory protocols for novel therapies such as dendritic cell therapy for several malignancies, antiangiogenesis therapy, graft engineering to prevent graft-versus-host disease and antigen specific T cells or non specific NK cells to prevent relapse. Moreover a strong focus of the program is to develop cord-blood transplantation for adult patients with hematologic malignancies. The laboratory studies center on understanding the immunological events that occur with graft-vs-host disease and methods to prevent this disease. The current efforts focus on understanding murine reconstitution following transplantation, use of a peptide polymer to block MHC class II recognition of minor histocompatibility antigens, use of T cell engineering to prevent graft-versus-host disease at the same time preserving a graft-versus-malignancy effect.
For more information see http://ed-media.mc.duke.edu/BMT.nsf
Education and Training
- Fellow In Oncology, Medicine, Stanford University, 1985 - 1987
- Medical Resident, Medicine, Stanford University, 1981 - 1984
- M.D., Yale University, 1981
Selected Grants and Awards
- Postdoctoral training in genomic medicine research
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Patient-centered home-based hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- Centers for Medical Countermeasures against Radiation Consortium
- Interdisciplinary Training Program in Lung Disease
- Smartphone Enabled Point-of-Care Detection of Serum Markers of Liver Cancer
- Transplant Infectious Diseases Interdisciplinary Research Training Grant
- Duke-UNC Clinical Hematology and Transfusion Research Career Development Program
- Determining the mechanism of the protective of action of STO-609, a CaMKK2 inhibitor, in acute radiation syndrome
- 2-O, 3-O desulfated heparin for the prevention of GVHD
- Point of Care Biodosimeter
- Plerixafor for allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- Validation of a microRNA signature for the prediction, diagnosis and prognosis of acute graft-versus-host disease
- Clinical Oncology Research Career Development Program
- BAFF Pathology: Novel Therapeutic Targets in Chronic Graft versus Host Disease
- Plasma microRNAs as non-invasive biomarker for acute graft-versus-host diseases
- RITN Agreement
- Novel Approaches to Stem Cell Transplantation
- Endothelial Progenitor Cell Transplant to Accelerate Hematopoietic Recovery
- Skin Stem Cells in Combined Radiation Injury
- Graft Engineering and Immunotherapy After Unrelated Cord Blood Transplantation
- Innate Immune Response to Environmental Endotoxin
- Non-Myeloablative Cord Blood Transplantation
- Dendritic Cell Based Vaccination for Multiple Myeloma
- Cord Blood Transplantation
- Bone Marrow Transplantation for Breast Cancer
- Cancer Center Core Support Grant
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Core Support Grant
McCune, SL, Gockerman, JP, Moore, JO, Decastro, CM, Bass, AJ, Chao, NJ, Long, GD, Vredenburgh, JJ, Gasparetto, C, Adams, D, Payne, N, and Rizzieri, DA. "Alemtuzumab in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia and prolymphocytic leukemia." Leuk Lymphoma 43, no. 5 (May 2002): 1007-1011.
Chen, BJ, Cui, X, Liu, C, and Chao, NJ. "Prevention of graft-versus-host disease while preserving graft-versus-leukemia effect after selective depletion of host-reactive T cells by photodynamic cell purging process." Blood 99, no. 9 (May 1, 2002): 3083-3088.
Gasparetto, C, Gasparetto, M, Morse, M, Rooney, B, Vredenburgh, JJ, Long, GD, Rizzieri, DA, Loftis, J, Chao, NJ, and Smith, C. "Mobilization of dendritic cells from patients with breast cancer into peripheral blood stem cell leukapheresis samples using Flt-3-Ligand and G-CSF or GM-CSF." Cytokine 18, no. 1 (April 7, 2002): 8-19.
Chen, BJ, Cui, X, and Chao, NJ. "Addition of a second, different allogeneic graft accelerates white cell and platelet engraftment after T-cell-depleted bone marrow transplantation." Blood 99, no. 6 (March 15, 2002): 2235-2240.
Chen, BJ, Chen, Y, Cui, X, Fidler, JM, and Chao, NJ. "Mechanisms of tolerance induced by PG490-88 in a bone marrow transplantation model." Transplantation 73, no. 1 (January 15, 2002): 115-121.
Chen, BJ, Cui, X, Sempowski, GD, Gooding, ME, Liu, C, Haynes, BF, and Chao, NJ. "A comparison of murine T-cell-depleted adult bone marrow and full-term fetal blood cells in hematopoietic engraftment and immune reconstitution." Blood 99, no. 1 (January 1, 2002): 364-371.
Chao, NJ, Liu, CX, Rooney, B, Chen, BJ, Long, GD, Vredenburgh, JJ, Morris, A, Gasparetto, C, and Rizzieri, DA. "Nonmyeloablative regimen preserves "niches" allowing for peripheral expansion of donor T-cells." Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 8, no. 5 (2002): 249-256.
Rizzieri, DA, Long, GD, Vredenburgh, JJ, Gasparetto, C, Morris, A, Stenzel, TT, Davis, P, and Chao, NJ. "Successful allogeneic engraftment of mismatched unrelated cord blood following a nonmyeloablative preparative regimen." Blood 98, no. 12 (December 1, 2001): 3486-3488.
Goker, H, Haznedaroglu, IC, and Chao, NJ. "Acute graft-vs-host disease: pathobiology and management." Exp Hematol 29, no. 3 (March 2001): 259-277. (Review)
Horning, SJ, Negrin, RS, Hoppe, RT, Rosenberg, SA, Chao, NJ, Long, GD, Brown, BW, and Blume, KG. "High-dose therapy and autologous bone marrow transplantation for follicular lymphoma in first complete or partial remission: results of a phase II clinical trial." Blood 97, no. 2 (January 15, 2001): 404-409.
Boeckh, M, Bowden, RA, Storer, B, Chao, NJ, Spielberger, R, Tierney, DK, Gallez-Hawkins, G, Cunningham, T, Blume, KG, Levitt, D, and Zaia, JA. "Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of a cytomegalovirus-specific monoclonal antibody (MSL-109) for prevention of cytomegalovirus infection after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation." Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 7, no. 6 (2001): 343-351.
Klein, AK, Patel, DD, Gooding, ME, Sempowski, GD, Chen, BJ, Liu, C, Kurtzberg, J, Haynes, BF, and Chao, NJ. "T-Cell recovery in adults and children following umbilical cord blood transplantation." Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 7, no. 8 (2001): 454-466.
Chen, BJ, Liu, C, Cui, X, Fidler, JM, and Chao, NJ. "Prevention of graft-versus-host disease by a novel immunosuppressant, PG490-88, through inhibition of alloreactive T cell expansion." Transplantation 70, no. 10 (November 27, 2000): 1442-1447.
Brodwater, BK, Silber, JS, Smith, TP, Chao, NJ, Suhocki, PV, Ryan, JM, and Newman, GE. "Conversion of indwelling chest port catheters to tunneled central venous catheters." J Vasc Interv Radiol 11, no. 9 (October 2000): 1137-1142.