Required Graded Coursework
Graded coursework should be completed within the first two years of the program. 24 hours of graded coursework is required including the following Immunology core courses. Students must obtain a B grade to meet programmatic requirements.
*MSTP students are exempt from IMMUNOL 544, the IMMUNOL 544 teaching requirement, MMUNOL 791A/791B, mini-courses and electives courses.
- IMMUNOL 544 Principles of Immunology (3 credits)
- IMMUNOL 701D Pillars of Immunology (1credit)
- IMMUNOL 731S Immunology Seminar (1 credit x 4 semesters) - 1st & 2nd year students
- IMMUNOL 791A/791B Research in Immunology (4 credits)
- IMMUNOL 601 Immunology of Human Disease (3 credits)
- IMMUNOL 800 Comprehensive Immunology (3 credits)
For electives, which includes mini-courses and regular courses, please reference the Basic Sciences Master Course Listing and consult with the Director of Graduate Studies.
Required Non-Graded Coursework
Immunology students are required to enroll in these two courses annually through completion of the program.
- IMMUNOL 732S Immunology Seminar (1 credit per semester, 3rd year students and beyond)
- IMMUNOL 735/736 Topics in Immunology (1 credit per semester, starting in spring, starting in 1st year spring)
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
All PhD students at Duke University are required to participate in a specified number of ethics course hours. Each matriculating Ph.D. student in the Immunology Program must attend the Fall Orientation RCR Workshop (12 hours) and the third year School of Medicine RCR workshop (4 hours) along with two or more supplementary RCR Forums. It is highly recommended that RCR requirements be met within the first three years of training to meet the RCR graduation criterion.
*MSTP students must complete the RCR track appropriate for their department or program of study.
One semester of supervised teaching in IMMUNOL 544 for undergraduate and graduate students is required. Trainees lead discussions and make didactic presentations within the framework of faculty-led classes. This requirement will normally be completed during the second or third year of doctoral training.